This is a list of the Troop’s standard activities. Each activity provides us with an opportunity to tell the community about Troop 285. Always wear Class A or Class B as dictated by the event.
- Troop meetings: Most Mondays. Starts promptly at 7:00 pm. Scouts do presentations on topics of interest in coordination with the Senior Patrol Leader; scout skills activities; logistics of future campouts or activities. Scouts can help put out and clean up chairs. Class A Uniform.
- Troop Leadership Committee (TLC): One Monday a month, usually after a campout. Led by the Troop Committee Chairperson, covering past, present and future events. All parents are welcome. Senior Scout Staff meet on these nights but no regular Scout meeting is held. Class B Uniform.
Court of Honor – Ranks, merit badges and other honors are awarded to scouts. Held every August, February and May.
- Service Projects: There are two that are done on regular basis at the Guadalupe River State Park, one in the Spring and the other in the Fall. There are other opportunities that come along during the year, as needs arise.
- Change of Leadership: Happens twice a year in April and October. Scouts apply for leadership positions and go through election and selection process.
Fundraising Activities: The troop provides opportunities for scouts to raise funds that go directly to their personal scout account for summer camps and trips.
There are 3 main opportunities:
- Fertilizer Sales: Organic Fertilizer that can be delivered in bags or spread by the scout for an additional fee (March).
- CokerFest: An arts and crafts festival held by Coker Church. Our troop has traditionally packed and served lunches for a fee (Nov).
- Alamo Bowl: Our troop sells programs at the Alamo Bowl (Dec).
Troop Fundraiser: Our troop hosts a section of the day and night parades. Our scouts are responsible for setting up and taking down the chairs in our area (March/April).
Eagle Rank Projects: 3-7 Eagle Scout Service Projects are performed throughout the year with scouts volunteering to help help out with each one.
Campouts: Several 2 -day weekend campouts are schedule during the academic year. During the summer we have campouts and High Adventure activities that can last from one week to two weeks.
Blood Drives: We host blood drives for the Blood & Tissue Center as a service to the community. Usually done either once or twice per year at the Scout Lodge.